About Me

My photo
Snapshots of our life, not always exciting, but filled with lots of Duff!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fishing with my Dad

Father and Son gone Fishing!

Dad and Calli docked in Whittier, Alaska



Calli and her Dad

Captain Layne showing us how its done!!!

Layne netting Dad's first Silver!!!

Dad's first salmon

Dad with a Quillback Rockfish

Jeff and his "Big But."

Dad and me with my halibut!

Calli and Jeff taking in the scenery of the island we anchored up at for the night.

Anchored in the bay of an island.

Craig and Layne fishing for Lingcod

Calli and her Starfish, they were all over the bay we stayed in.

Calling it a day...

The Fishing Queen!
Cleaning and packaging our haul...

Calli, her dad Layne, brother Craig; and me and my Dad, got to take a fishing trip to Prince William Sound. My Dad has never been to Alaska, and got the experience of a lifetime, and a little unexpected excitement. After finishing day 1 of a 2 day trip, we anchored up in a bay on one of the many islands in the sound. We had dinner and called it a night...hours later the excitement started.

My Dad woke up at 4:00 am, and his throat had started swelling shut making it hard to breathe, he needed immediate medical attention, and at 4am the Sound was covered in blackness and fog. Visibilty was impossible, and being that we were 4 hours away from any dock, the situation was very serious. We contacted the Coast Guard with the on-board radio. They planned to launch a helicopter to our position, and have Dad medivac'd to Valdez, Alaska. Shortly after taking off the copter had a mechanical failure and had to return to base. The situation, which was already urgent, got just a lot worse. Another boat picking up our transmission suggested catching a float plane. Unfortunately with no guarentees and time of the essence, Layne made the decision to power up and bulldog it back to Whittier. The paramedics met us at the Whittier dock and took Dad to Providence Hospital in Anchorage. He made it to Anchorage and after getting treatent was released. he is Ok now, but definitely gave us all a scare.

We were very blessed to have such an awesome day of fishing Friday, and I was very thankful that Dad got to have that experience before cutting the trip short. We definitely look forward to having the opportunity again someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment